Show Me The Money

Image Source

When you have worked in the IT industry for as long as I have, you will know that almost everyone here is craving for money. While 99% of them work their ass off filling documents to get a chance to go onsite, the rest 0.9% percent are cribbing about not having a decent salary. I on the other hand, happen to be one of those rare 0.1%, who is not bothered about either. I think I get a good salary and am more than content with it. My work place is a stone throw away from home, I love the work I do and I get enough time to follow all my other passions. That is more important to me than a big fat pay cheque. Going onsite to the US of A is something that has never fascinated me. I have had my share of travel years ago and I'm sure that I do not want to do it again. I do not want to leave my husband and family behind to go earn in dollars. If a hike comes my way, I graciously accept it with a smile. If it doesn't, I just let it be. No point in cribbing anyway.

The reason I'm writing this post is that almost every where I see, I see that every thing has become only about money these days. Every one wants to know the money the other is making and compare themselves. And then there are people who have all the money in the world and yet want more of it. And they do not hesitate to go to any extent or even beg for it. Yes, inspite of having millions back home. But the species that kind of interest me the most are the ones who are pretty well to do and yet cringe at every given opportunity. Don't get me wrong, I'm a very thrifty person myself and think twice before spending a penny, but some people surprise me with their level of frugality. I see a few of them in my work place as well. Senior folks who have very good experience and make good money, but they cringe on their basics. They are shoddily dressed and think a hundred times when they have to give money for a celebration at work.

These people try to save as much as they can, even if it means letting go of the basic comforts. They wear torn shoes/socks and carry old bags that is almost ripping off. They stay away from team dinners and lunches and do not carry a wallet unless absolutely necessary. But if the company is paying, they come in full attendance. If alcohol is involved they drink like a fish even without knowing how to pronounce the drink. I'm do not know what exactly their circumstances are, but I am not sure why people have to compromise of their basics just to save a few rupees. Food, clothing and shelter are the basic needs of a man and yet some people are willing to let go off that in order to maintain a steady bank balance. I mean if you cannot live your life today, it will be too late later. Money, money and more money. This is the only thing on the minds of a few people, who accept anything that comes to them free. I have seen people standing in line twice or thrice to get a free meal coupon or a T-shirt. I don't know what to call that. But then again, people and their choices. But what I do not understand is why such people pass comments on others who are spending money for a comfortable life. Every one works really hard to earn money and spending it or keeping it is their choice.

Image Source

Kids these days have no value or understanding of money at all. Some parents don't bother to teach them either. Recently I heard a boy not more than eight years old, talk about the lakhs and millions that his father has in his bank account and how nobody could harm him because of it. If I could, I would have shot him right there and see what his dad's millions did to bring him back to life. Last week a bunch of kids had come in a brand new Hummer to a place where we frequent. The kid driving the car was clearly under eighteen and so were his bunch of friends who were smoking like there was no tomorrow. A credit card was handed when the bill was given to them and they drove away screaming in joy. Parents need to teach their kids the value of money and how to use it. But this shall only happen if the parents themselves know the value of it.

One of the kind of people I hate are the ones who have never earned a penny all their lives and yet demand luxury at every step of life. If you haven't made a single rupee in your life, then you are just existing and not living. Existing, thanks to the effort of some one else who is obligated to take care of you. Celebrations and festivals have all become only about the money now. Crores are spent in weddings just to show the world how much money the families have. Crackers are burst for three days at a stretch to show the status of the family during Diwali. Children flaunt their parent's money like it is their birth right and some rich soul is spending more on luxury even though he has more than enough of the basics. At the same time, there is someone who is compromising on his basics even when there is absolutely no need to. The world has become a place where misers continue to be misers, the rich continue to get rich and the poor are struggling to have the basics.

It is very sad that a person's status in the society is judged by the amount of money in his bank rather than the experience he comes with. No wonder everyone is hell bent upon joining the rat race to come first and win the jackpot. But the thing about a rat's race is that even if you win, you are still a rat.

Save for tomorrow, but not before living for today. You need to spend a little to get past today peacefully. Do not cringe on that. Those who think money can buy them everything, great going! Just wait until you are gone to see where it takes you.

15 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one. We are also very satisfied with whatever we have. Even in this part of the world people want to go to gora countries so that they can 'settle' there and possibly get citizenship. We, on the other hand, love the work life balance this place gives us. We spend on experiences rather than luxuries. We try to give as much as possible. We save. What else can you wish for? But then, you are right, people want more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so proud of you guys for that. People seriously need to get the difference between wants and needs right.

      Delete
  2. Yes, we should not forget to live our life in the race of saving up cents. But then, to each his own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could not agree more. I have always been grateful to God,life for whatever has been given to me. If I get something worth cherishing or what we people stereotype as "success" , that, to me, is an icing on the cake with cherry on top. Because I seriously follow news pages and current affairs, I sincerely feel that our world is facing a much greater crisis, and considering that scenario, my own problems don't count at all. That makes me feel all the more grateful to life for what has been given to me till date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Sucharita :)

      Most of us have enough, but most of then do not understand what enough means. That's the problem.

      Delete
  4. When it comes to money, it is very important to maintain a balance. I like how you highlight the different aspects of all the people who quite evidently have not struck the right balance. Right from the miser to the people who are ridiculously extravagant in their expenditure. Though I am still a student but I do use my pocket money judiciously. I don't spend on trivialities but on things that I consider important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Money is important. But it's not the only thing to look forward to.

      Delete
  5. People only value the kind of money you make. If you make more money, your job is good, if you're not making enough money, it's worthless. No matter the kind of appreciation you get, it will always be less, because of less money! And it seriously pisses me off! Thanks for bringing up that point!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I hate conversations revolving around money!

      Delete
  6. Fantastic read Soumya!!! Cannot agree more to everything you say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soumya, Appreciate your penning yoour views in an interesting manner. You have dissected the people's behaviour about money, possessions, and freebies very well.

    I believe this behaviour is caised by the centuries of deprivation (famines/ natural calamities) the human race on this piece of land (Indian subcontinnet) has suffered which has caused our genes to cultivate a store/accumulate for future behaviour.

    True that money cant buy all things, but there is no one thing in the world which can buy 100% of the things. Money can buy 95% of the things in life , which I think is a decent score . :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear, I like your blog very much, I can get many useful information. Hope that we can communicate with each other. By the way, have you ever used memory card software ? Unfortunately I lost my memory card data. I do not know how to do.

    ReplyDelete

Care to leave a word or two? Thanks for dropping by :)